- 先知者(선지자)가 오히려 말할 때에 王(왕)이 이르되 우리가 너로 王(왕)의 謀士(모사)를 삼았느냐 그치라 어찌하여 맞으려 하느냐 先知者(선지자)가 그치며 가로되 王(왕)이 이 일을 行(행)하고 나의 警告(경고)를 듣지 아니하니 ㅐ하나님이 王(왕)을 滅(멸)하시기로 決定(결정)하신 줄 아노라 하였더라
- ㄱ유다 王(왕) 아마샤가 相議(상의)하고 예후의 孫子(손자) 여호아하스의 아들 이스라엘 王(왕) 요아스에게 使者(사자)를 보내어 이르되 오라 서로 對面(대면)하자 한지라
- 이스라엘 王(왕) 요아스가 유다 王(왕) 아마샤에게 보내어 이르되 ㄴ레바논 가시나무가 레바논 柏香木(백향목)에게 보내어 이르기를 네 딸을 내 아들에게 주어 아내를 삼게하라 하였더니 레바논 짐승이 지나가다가 그 가시나무를 짓밟았으니라
- 네가 에돔 사람을 쳤다 하고 ㄷ네 마음이 驕慢(교만)하여 自矜(자긍)하는도다 네 宮(궁)에나 便(편)히 居(거)하라 어찌하여 禍(화)를 自取(자취)하여 너와 유다가 함께 亡(망)하고자 하느냐 하나
- 아마샤가 듣지 아니하였으니 이는 하나님께로 말미암은 것이라 ㄹ저희가 에돔 神(신)들에게 求(구)하였으므로 그 對敵(대적)의 손에 붙이려 하심이더라
- And it came to pass, as he talked with him, that the king said unto him, Art thou made of the king's counsel? forbear; why shouldest thou be smitten? Then the prophet forbare, and said, I know that God hath determined to destroy thee, because thou hast done this, and hast not hearkened unto my counsel.
- Then Amaziah king of Judah took advice, and sent to Joash, the son of Jehoahaz, the son of Jehu, king of Israel, saying, Come, let us see one another in the face.
- And Joash king of Israel sent to Amaziah king of Judah, saying, The thistle that was in Lebanon sent to the cedar that was in Lebanon, saying, Give thy daughter to my son to wife: and there passed by a wild beast that was in Lebanon, and trode down the thistle.
- Thou sayest, Lo, thou hast smitten the Edomites; and thine heart lifteth thee up to boast: abide now at home; why shouldest thou meddle to thine hurt, that thou shouldest fall, even thou, and Judah with thee?
- But Amaziah would not hear; for it came of God, that he might deliver them into the hand of their enemies, because they sought after the gods of Edom.
- While he was still speaking, the king said to him, "Have we appointed you an adviser to the king? Stop! Why be struck down?" So the prophet stopped but said, "I know that God has determined to destroy you, because you have done this and have not listened to my counsel."
- After Amaziah king of Judah consulted his advisers, he sent this challenge to Jehoash son of Jehoahaz, the son of Jehu, king of Israel: "Come, meet me face to face."
- But Jehoash king of Israel replied to Amaziah king of Judah: "A thistle in Lebanon sent a message to a cedar in Lebanon, 'Give your daughter to my son in marriage.' Then a wild beast in Lebanon came along and trampled the thistle underfoot.
- You say to yourself that you have defeated Edom, and now you are arrogant and proud. But stay at home! Why ask for trouble and cause your own downfall and that of Judah also?"
- Amaziah, however, would not listen, for God so worked that he might hand them over to Jehoash, because they sought the gods of Edom.