- 船長(선장)이 나아가서 그에게 이르되 자는 者(자)여 어찜이뇨 일어나서 네 하나님께 求(구)하라 ㅍ或時(혹시) 하나님이 우리를 생각하사 亡(망)하지 않게 하시리라 하니라
- 그들이 서로 이르되 자, 우리가 ㅎ제비를 뽑아 이 災殃(재앙)이 누구로 因(인)하여 우리에게 臨(임)하였나 알자 하고 곧 제비를 뽑으니 제비가 요나에게 當(당)한지라
- 무리가 그에게 이르되 請(청)컨대 이 災殃(재앙)이 무슨 緣故(연고)로 우리에게 臨(임)하였는가 告(고)하라 네 生業(생업)이 무엇이며 어디서 왔으며 故國(고국)이 어디며 어느 民族(민족)에 屬(속)하였느냐
- 그가 對答(대답)하되 나는 히브리 사람이요 ㅏ바다와 陸地(륙지)를 지으신 ㅑ하늘의 하나님 여호와를 敬畏(경외)하는 者(자)로라 하고
- 自己(자기)가 여호와의 낯을 避(피)함인줄을 그들에게 告(고)하였으므로 무리가 알고 甚(심)히 두려워하여 이르되 네가 어찌하여 이렇게 行(행)하였느냐 하니라
- So the shipmaster came to him, and said unto him, What meanest thou, O sleeper? arise, call upon thy God, if so be that God will think upon us, that we perish not.
- And they said every one to his fellow, Come, and let us cast lots, that we may know for whose cause this evil is upon us. So they cast lots, and the lot fell upon Jonah.
- Then said they unto him, Tell us, we pray thee, for whose cause this evil is upon us; What is thine occupation? and whence comest thou? What is thy country? and of what people art thou?
- And he said unto them, I am an Hebrew; and I fear the Lord, the God of heaven, which hath made the sea and the dry land.
- Then were the men exceedingly afraid, and said unto him. Why hast thou done this? For the men knew that he fled from the presence of the Lord, because he had told them.
- The captain went to him and said, "How can you sleep? Get up and call on your god! Maybe he will take notice of us, and we will not perish."
- Then the sailors said to each other, "Come, let us cast lots to find out who is responsible for this calamity." They cast lots and the lot fell on Jonah.
- So they asked him, "Tell us, who is responsible for making all this trouble for us? What do you do? Where do you come from? What is your country? From what people are you?"
- He answered, "I am a Hebrew and I worship the LORD, the God of heaven, who made the sea and the land."
- This terrified them and they asked, "What have you done?" (They knew he was running away from the LORD, because he had already told them so.)