- ㅗ그 後(후)에 암몬 子孫(자손)의 王(왕) 나하스가 죽고 그 아들이 代身(대신)하여 王(왕)이 되니
- 다윗이 가로되 하눈의 아비 나하스가 前(전)에 내게 恩惠(은혜)를 베풀었으니 이제 내가 그 아들 하눈에게 恩惠(은혜)를 베풀리라 하고 使者(사자)를 보내어 그 아비 죽은 것을 조상하게 하니라 다윗의 信服(신복)들이 암몬 子孫(자손)의 땅에 이르러 하눈에게 나아가 조상하매
- 암몬 子孫(자손)의 方伯(방백)들이 하눈에게 告(고)하되 王(왕)은 다윗이 조문사를 보낸 것이 王(왕)의 父親(부친)을 恭敬(공경)함인 줄로 여기시나이까 그 信服(신복)이 王(왕)에게 나아온 것이 이 땅을 엿보고 探知(탐지)하여 陷落(함락)시키고자 함이 아니니이까
- 하눈이 이에 다윗의 信服(신복)들을 잡아 그 鬚髥(수염)을 깍고 그 衣服(의복)의 중동 볼기까지 자르고 돌려 보내매
- 或(혹)이 다윗에게 가서 그 사람들의 當(당)한 일을 告(고)하니라 그 사람들이 甚(심)히 부끄러워하므로 다윗이 저희를 맞으러 보내어 이르기를 너희는 鬚髥(수염)이 자라기까지 여리고에 머물다가 돌아오라 하니라
- Now it came to pass after this, that Nahash the king of the children of Ammon died, and his son reigned in his stead.
- And David said, I will shew kindness unto Hanun the son of Nahash, because his father shewed kindness to me. And David sent messengers to comfort him concerning his father. So the servants of David came into the land of the children of Ammon to Hanun, to comfort him.
- But the princes of the children of Ammon said to Hanun, Thinkest thou that David doth honour thy father, that he hath sent comforters unto thee? are not his servants come unto thee for to search, and to overthrow, and to spy out the land?
- Wherefore Hanun took David's servants, and shaved them, and cut off their garments in the midst hard by their buttocks, and sent them away.
- Then there went certain, and told David how the men were served. And he sent to meet them: for the men were greatly ashamed. And the king said, Tarry at Jericho until your beards be grown, and then return.
- In the course of time, Nahash king of the Ammonites died, and his son succeeded him as king.
- David thought, "I will show kindness to Hanun son of Nahash, because his father showed kindness to me." So David sent a delegation to express his sympathy to Hanun concerning his father. When David's men came to Hanun in the land of the Ammonites to express sympathy to him,
- the Ammonite nobles said to Hanun, "Do you think David is honoring your father by sending men to you to express sympathy? Haven't his men come to you to explore and spy out the country and overthrow it?"
- So Hanun seized David's men, shaved them, cut off their garments in the middle at the buttocks, and sent them away.
- When someone came and told David about the men, he sent messengers to meet them, for they were greatly humiliated. The king said, "Stay at Jericho till your beards have grown, and then come back."