- ㄴ그 後(후)에 암몬 子孫(자손)의 王(왕)이 죽고 그 아들 하눈이 代身(대신)하여 王(왕)이 되니
- 다윗이 가로되 내가 ㄷ나하스의 아들 하눈에게 恩寵(은총)을 베풀되 그 아비가 내게 恩寵(은총)을 베푼 것같이 하리라 하고 그 信服(신복)들을 命(명)하여 그 아비 죽은 것을 조상하라 하니라 다윗의 信服(신복)들이 암몬 子孫(자손)의 땅에 이르매
- 암몬 子孫(자손)의 方伯(방백)들이 그 主(주) 하눈에게 告(고)하되 王(왕)은 다윗이 조상을 보낸 것이 王(왕)의 父親(부친)을 恭敬(공경)함인 줄로 여기시나이까 다윗이 그 信服(신복)을 보내어 이 城(성)을 엿보고 探知(탐지)하여 陷落(함락)시키고자 함이 아니니이까
- 이에 하눈이 다윗의 信服(신복)들을 잡아 그 鬚髥(수염) 折半(절반)을 깎고 그 衣服(의복)의 중동 ㄹ볼기까지 자르고 돌려보내매
- 或(혹)이 이 일을 다윗에게 告(고)하니라 그 사람들이 크게 부끄러워하므로 王(왕)이 저희를 맞으러 보내어 이르기를 너희는 鬚髥(수염)이 자라기까지 여리고에서 머물다가 돌아오라 하니라
- And it came to pass after this, that the king of the children of Ammon died, and Hanun his son reigned in his stead.
- Then said David, I will shew kindness unto Hanun the son of Nahash, as his father shewed kindness unto me. And David sent to comfort him by the hand of his servants for his father. And David's servants came into the land of the children of Ammon.
- And the princes of the children of Ammon said unto Hanun their lord, Thinkest thou that David doth honour thy father, that he hath sent comforters unto thee? hath not David rather sent his servants unto thee, to search the city, and to spy it out, and to overthrow it?
- Wherefore Hanun took David's servants, and shaved off the one half of their beards, and cut off their garments in the middle, even to their buttocks, and sent them away.
- When they told it unto David, he sent to meet them, because the men were greatly ashamed: and the king said, Tarry at Jericho until your beards be grown, and then return.
- In the course of time, the king of the Ammonites died, and his son Hanun succeeded him as king.
- David thought, "I will show kindness to Hanun son of Nahash, just as his father showed kindness to me." So David sent a delegation to express his sympathy to Hanun concerning his father. When David's men came to the land of the Ammonites,
- the Ammonite nobles said to Hanun their lord, "Do you think David is honoring your father by sending men to you to express sympathy? Hasn't David sent them to you to explore the city and spy it out and overthrow it?"
- So Hanun seized David's men, shaved off half of each man's beard, cut off their garments in the middle at the buttocks, and sent them away.
- When David was told about this, he sent messengers to meet the men, for they were greatly humiliated. The king said, "Stay at Jericho till your beards have grown, and then come back."