- 라반이 가로되 내가 무엇으로 네게 주랴 야곱이 가로되 外三寸(외삼촌)께서 아무 것도 내게 주실 것이 아니라 나를 爲(위)하여 이 일을 行(행)하시면 내가 다시 外三寸(외삼촌)의 羊(양)떼를 먹이고 지키리이다
- 오늘 내가 外三寸(외삼촌)의 羊(양)떼로 두루 다니며 그 羊(양) 中(중)에 아롱진 者(자)와 點(점) 있는 者(자)와 검은 者(자)를 가리어 내며 염소 中(중)에 點(점) 있는 者(자)와 아롱진 者(자)를 가리어 내리니 ㄹ이 같은 것이 나면 나의 삯이 되리이다
- 後日(후일)에 外三寸(외삼촌)께서 오셔서 내 품삯을 調査(조사) 하실 때에 나의 義(의)가 나의 表徵(표징)이 되리이다 내게 或時(혹시) 염소 中(중) 아롱지지 아니한 者(자)나, 점이 없는 者(자)나 羊(양) 中(중) 검지 아니한 者(자)가 있거든 다 盜賊(도적)질한 것으로 認定(인정)하소서
- 라반이 가로되 내가 네 말대로 하리라하고
- 그 날에 그가 수 염소 中(중) 얼룩 무늬 있는 者(자)와 點(점) 있는 者(자)를 가리고 암 염소 中(중) 흰 바탕에 아롱진 者(자)와 點(점) 있는 者(자)를 가리고 羊(양) 中(중)의 검은 者(자)들을 가려 自己(자기) 아들들의 손에 붙이고
- And he said, What shall I give thee? And Jacob said, Thou shalt not give me any thing: if thou wilt do this thing for me, I will again feed and keep thy flock.
- I will pass through all thy flock to day, removing from thence all the speckled and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle among the sheep, and the spotted and speckled among the goats: and of such shall be my hire.
- So shall my righteousness answer for me in time to come, when it shall come for my hire before thy face: every one that is not speckled and spotted among the goats, and brown among the sheep, that shall be counted stolen with me.
- And Laban said, Behold, I would it might be according to thy word.
- And he removed that day the he goats that were ringstraked and spotted, and all the she goats that were speckled and spotted, and every one that had some white in it, and all the brown among the sheep, and gave them into the hand of his sons.
- "What shall I give you?" he asked. "Don't give me anything," Jacob replied. "But if you will do this one thing for me, I will go on tending your flocks and watching over them:
- Let me go through all your flocks today and remove from them every speckled or spotted sheep, every dark-colored lamb and every spotted or speckled goat. They will be my wages.
- And my honesty will testify for me in the future, whenever you check on the wages you have paid me. Any goat in my possession that is not speckled or spotted, or any lamb that is not dark-colored, will be considered stolen."
- "Agreed," said Laban. "Let it be as you have said."
- That same day he removed all the male goats that were streaked or spotted, and all the speckled or spotted female goats (all that had white on them) and all the dark-colored lambs, and he placed them in the care of his sons.