- 그사람이 엘리에게 告(고)하되 나는 陣(진) 中(중)에서 나온 者(자)라 내가 오늘 陣(진) 中(중)에서 逃亡(도망)하여 왔나이다 엘리가 가로되 내 아들아, ㅏ일이 어찌되었느냐
- 消息(소식)을 傳(전)하는 者(자)가 對答(대답)하여 가로되 이스라엘이 블레셋 사람 앞에서 逃亡(도망)하였고 百姓(백성) 中(중)에는 큰 殺戮(살륙)이 있었고 當身(당신)의 두 아들 홉니와 비느하스도 죽임을 當(당)하였고 하나님의 櫃(궤)는 빼앗겼나이다
- 하나님의 櫃(궤)를 말할 때에 엘리가 自己(자기) ㅑ椅子(의자)에서 자빠져 門(문) 곁에서 목이 부러져 죽었으니 나이 많고 비둔한 緣故(연고)라 그가 이스라엘 士師(사사)가 된지 四十年(사십년)이었더라
- 그의 며느리 비느하스의 아내가 孕胎(잉태)하여 産氣(산기)가 가까왔더니 하나님의 櫃(궤) 빼앗긴 것과 그 媤父(시부)와 男便(남편)의 죽은 所聞(소문)을 듣고 갑자기 아파서 몸을 구푸려 解産(해산)하고
- 죽어갈 때에 곁에 섰던 女人(녀인)들이 그에게 이르되 ㅓ두려워 말라 네가 아들을 낳았다 하되 그가 對答(대답)지도 아니하며 觀念(관념)치도 아니하고
- And the man said unto Eli, I am he that came out of the army, and I fled to day out of the army. And he said, What is there done, my son?
- And the messenger answered and said, Israel is fled before the Philistines, and there hath been also a great slaughter among the people, and thy two sons also, Hophni and Phinehas, are dead, and the ark of God is taken.
- And it came to pass, when he made mention of the ark of God, that he fell from off the seat backward by the side of the gate, and his neck brake, and he died: for he was an old man, and heavy. And he had judged Israel forty years.
- And his daughter in law, Phinehas' wife, was with child, near to be delivered: and when she heard the tidings that the ark of God was taken, and that her father in law and her husband were dead, she bowed herself and travailed; for her pains came upon her.
- And about the time of her death the women that stood by her said unto her, Fear not; for thou hast born a son. But she answered not, neither did she regard it.
- He told Eli, "I have just come from the battle line; I fled from it this very day." Eli asked, "What happened, my son?"
- The man who brought the news replied, "Israel fled before the Philistines, and the army has suffered heavy losses. Also your two sons, Hophni and Phinehas, are dead, and the ark of God has been captured."
- When he mentioned the ark of God, Eli fell backward off his chair by the side of the gate. His neck was broken and he died, for he was an old man and heavy. He had led Israel forty years.
- His daughter-in-law, the wife of Phinehas, was pregnant and near the time of delivery. When she heard the news that the ark of God had been captured and that her father-in-law and her husband were dead, she went into labor and gave birth, but was overcome by her labor pains.
- As she was dying, the women attending her said, "Don't despair; you have given birth to a son." But she did not respond or pay any attention.